MEI/FMEP 2023 Briefing Series: Israel/Palestine – Key Issues for the 118th Congress
Part Two: Extremism in Israel
Recorded on February 17, 2023
Featuring: Amjad Iraqi, Natasha Roth-Rowland, & Shaul Magid
This session explored the rise and normalization of extremism and extremists in Israeli politics, particularly in light of the current far-right government of Benjamin Netanyahu, and what it means for Palestinian rights, prospects for peace, regional stability, and Israel’s standing in the international community.
For more information on the 2023 Congressional Briefing series, please visit: https://fmep.org/mei-fmep-2023-briefing-series-israel-palestine-key-issues-for-the-118th-congress/
Amjad Iraqi is an editor and writer at +972 Magazine. He is also a policy analyst at the think tank Al-Shabaka, and was previously an advocacy coordinator at the legal center Adalah. In addition to +972, his writings have appeared in the London Review of Books, The Nation, The Guardian, and Le Monde Diplomatique, among others. He is a Palestinian citizen of Israel, based in Haifa.
Dr. Shaul Magid is a Professor of Jewish Studies at Dartmouth College, where he teaches Jewish Studies and Religion, rabbi of the Fire Island Synagogue in Sea View, NY, contributing editor to Tablet Magazine and editor of Jewish Thought and Culture at Tikkun Magazine. He is also a member of the American Academy for Jewish Research. Shaul received his rabbinical ordination in Jerusalem. Shaul’s academic work focuses on Jewish mysticism, Hasidism, and modern Jewish thought with specific emphasis on American Judaism, Jewishness, and collective identity.
Natasha Roth-Rowland is an editor and writer at +972 Magazine, and a doctoral candidate in History at the University of Virginia. Her dissertation investigates the history of the Jewish far right in Israel-Palestine and the United States. Natasha previously spent several
Follow our panelists on Twitter:
- Amjad Iraqi → https://twitter.com/aj_iraqi
- Shaul Magid → https://jewish.dartmouth.edu/people/shaul-magid
- Natasha Roth-Rowland → https://twitter.com/NatashaRoth01
- Check out +972 Magazine → https://www.972mag.com/
- “In Israel, Left and Right Join to Protest New Government Threat to Democracy—What’s Striking is What’s Missing”
- Meir Kahane: The Public Life and Political Thought of an American Jewish Radical
- For more information specifically on Kahanism, listen/watch and FMEP webinar from 2021 featuring Shaul Magid, Amjad Iraqi, and Natasha Roth Rowland → https://fmep.org/event/18727/
- The Far Right Always Has a Next Target
- Ben Gvir’s Dream Ministry Brings Kahane’s Vision One Step Closer
- Land grabs. Homophobia. Radicalized police: What to expect from Israel’s far-right government https://www.972mag.com/israel-far-right-government-plans/
- For more on Jewish Supremacy, see “The Vocabulary of Oppression: Jewish Supremacy from the River to the Sea” a 2022 FMEP webinar ft. Natasha Roth Rowland, Peter Beinart, Orly Noy, and FMEP’s Sarah Anne Minkin.