Apartheid & Dispossession: Views from the West Bank
Thursday, February 17th, 2022
featuring Basil al-Adraa (journalist & activist), Eid (photographer), Eyal Hareuveni (B’Tselem), and Sarit Michaeli (B’Tselem) in conversation with Lara Friedman (FMEP)
Palestinians face a growing matrix of mechanisms geared towards removing them from their land, dispersing their communities, and threatening their livelihoods. Join FMEP and B’Tselem to discuss the situation on the ground: what Palestinians in Area C (and increasingly in Area B) are facing and how they live under the shadow of dispossession, at the hands of the Israeli government, its security forces, its courts, and its private citizens.
This webinar featured two Palestinians from Masafer Yatta in the South Hebron hills, an area in Area C whose residents are under particularly heightened threats and regular attacks, as well as video interviews with additional Palestinians living under threat.
- Basil al-Adraa is an activist, journalist, and photographer from the village of A’Twani. Twitter: @basel_adra
- Eid is a photographer.
In addition, Sarit Michaeli (@saritm0) and Eyal Hareuveni of B’Tselem, the Israeli Information Center for Human Rights in the Occupied Territories — joined the webinar and speak about B’Tselem’s recent report, “State Business: Israel’s misappropriation of land in the West Bank through settler violence.”FMEP President Lara Friedman (@larafriedmanDC) moderated the discussion.
Resources shared during the webinar:
Follow our participants:
- Lara Friedman → https://twitter.com/LaraFriedmanDC
- Sarit Michaeli → https://twitter.com/saritm0
- B’Tselem → https://twitter.com/btselem
- Eid → https://twitter.com/eidsuleman
- Eid’s artist website → https://eidworkshop.wordpress.com/
- Basel al-Adraa → https://twitter.com/basel_adra
The new B’Tselem report: State Business: Israel’s misappropriation of land in the West Bank through settler violence
New videos from B’Tselem, which we shared during the webinar:
- Khirbet Zanutah near Settler“farms”
- Khirbet Tuba, Masafer Yatta – life in the shadow of state-backed settler violence
Some resources on Umm al Khair:
- “Israeli police shattered this Palestinian elder’s bones — and drove away,” by Ali Awad & Awdah Hathaleen
- “My village is under threat. I’m not giving up hope” by Awdah Hathaleen
- “We don’t just live through one home demolition — we live through them all” by Awdah Hathaleen
A few resources from / about Basel al-Adraa:
- Basel publishes regularly in +972 Magazine; see Basel al-Adraa’s archives at +972 magazine
- B’Tselem post on the settler & military harassment of Basel, “Apartheid’s Watchdogs”
- FMEP’s recent podcast with Basel al-Adraa about a particularly horrifying settler assault on Palestinians in Masafer Yatta: “Occupied Thoughts: Pogrom in Mufagara and ‘Fighting for our justice’”
Yochai Damri, chair of the Mt Hebron Regional Council, “A settler’s vision: The Palestinians are trespassers, their homes must be demolished.” Speaking of Palestinian residents of the South Hebron Hills: Damri said: “They must not only have their homes demolished, but also be placed in prison. There are small communities that must be taken apart.”
Breaking news on Twitter by Itay Epshtein: “BREAKING: According to @cogatonline, in the last five years, #Palestinians in Area C were granted 33 building permits, while during the same period, settlers – transferred to occupied territory in violation of #IHL – were granted over 16,500 building permits. Annexation de facto.”
Hear more from Eid in this upcoming webinar, “Determined to Stay: Life in the South Hebron Hills,” with Eid, Maya Mark, and Gili Getz about the South Hebron Hills:
Save Masafer Yatta campaign: https://savemasaferyatta.com/en/