In this episode of “Occupied Thoughts,” Lara Friedman interviews Oriel Eisner and Maya Eshel, two activists who were detained by the Israeli police last week in separate but connected incidents. Their arrests are another piece in the puzzle of Palestinian dispossession and state-backed settler violence.
Subscribe to “Occupied Thoughts” on iTunes | Soundcloud |Spotify
Click here to watch this conversation on YouTube
Oriel Eisner is an American-Israeli activist and organizer with the Center for Jewish Nonviolence (cjnv.org). He is based in Jerusalem.
Maya Eshel is an American-Israel activist currently engaged in daily solidarity work in the South Hebron Hills. She is based in Tel Aviv.
Lara Friedman is the President of the Foundation for Middle East Peace.
Palestinian Voices from the South Hebron Hills
- Pogrom in Mufagara and ‘Fighting for our justice’, Occupied Thoughts podcast (October 7, 2021) ft. Basil al-Adraa (activist, journalist, and photographer from the village of a-Tuwani in the South Hebron Hills) and Natasha Westheimer (Australian-American water management specialist and anti-occupation activist based in Jerusalem)
- We don’t just live through one home demolition — we live through them all (by Awdah Hathaleen, November 18, 2021)
- The soldiers got into their jeeps — and left us with a settler militia (by Basil al-Adraa, November 15, 2021)
What I would’ve told the Knesset about settler violence — if they’d let me (by Ali Awad, October 15, 2021)
- I filmed a settler pogrom. Now the Israeli media is smearing me (by Basil al-Adraa, October 6, 2021)
- Scenes from a Jewish pogrom (by Basil al-Adraa, September 29, 2021)
- The night my daughter was born into the occupation (by Ahmed Jundeya September 16, 2021)
- Want to report settler violence? You may soon be under investigation (by Ali Awad, August 19, 2021)
- WATCH: Settler grabs Israeli soldier’s weapon, fires at Palestinians (by Basil al-Adraa, August 2, 2021)
- What Israeli soldiers don’t demolish by day, settlers burn by night (by Ali Awad, July 20, 2021)
- ‘The settlers brought caravans and put them on a hill next to us’ (by Basil al-Adraa, April 9, 2021)
- ‘The settler bashed my head with a pipe, and everything went dark’ (by Basil al-Adraa, March 18, 2021)
- ‘All I can do is film, and it breaks my heart’ (by Basil al-Adraa,, March 5, 2021)
Masafar Yatta/Firing Zone 918/Farming Outposts
- #SaveMasaferYatta campaign website
- ACRI backgrounder on Firing Zone 918
- Btselem backgrounder – Masafer Yatta communities whose land was declared a “firing zone“
- Hineinu: A Sustained Solidarity Project (Center for Jewish Nonviolence)
In Five Years, Four New Settler Farms Took Palestinian Land the Size of a Big Town (November 14, 2021)
Israel Allocates Swathes of West Bank Land to Illegal Outposts (July 29, 2021)
Targeting Israeli Solidarity Activists