Recorded March 18, 2022
Listen to this conversation as a podcast
This webinar is Part 6 of an 8-part series of webinars. For more information regarding this series, and links to the other sessions, please click here.
Featuring Omar Barghouti (Palestinian human rights defender & co-founder of the Palestinian-led Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions (BDS) movement), Brian Hauss (ACLU) and Olivia Katbi (North America Coordinator for the Palestinian-led Boycott, Divestment, and Sanctions (BDS) Movement).
In this session we explored issues surrounding growing grassroots protest of Israeli policies, including via support of boycotts, divestment campaigns, and calls for sanctions (BDS) — and the parallel rise in efforts, including in Congress, to delegitimize and legislate against such protests.
Resources shared during the webinar
- Follow Omar at: @BDSmovement / https://twitter.com/BDSmovement
- BDS movement website: https://bdsmovement.net/
- July 9, 2005: Palestinian Civil Society Call for BDS
- BDS Movement – Student Solidarity
- The Guardian 5/19/21: People of conscience: Palestinians ask you to boycott Israel
- Institute for Palestine Studies (2020): Boycott, Divestment & Sanctions: Globalized Palestinian Resistance to Israel’s Colonialism and Apartheid
- The Guardian 4/16/19: I co-founded the BDS movement. Why was I denied entry to the US?
- Al Jazeera 12/22/12: Is BDS’ campaign against Israel reaching a turning point?
- AAUP – Journal of Academic Freedom 2013: Boycott, Academic Freedom, and the Moral Responsibility to Uphold Human Rights
- “Boycott, Divestment, & Sanctions: Globalized Palestinian Resistance to Israel’s Colonialism and Apartheid” https://www.palestine-studies.org/en/node/1650875
- Follow Brian at: @brianmhauss / https://twitter.com/brianmhauss & follow the ACLU at @ACLU / https://twitter.com/ACLU
- Brian’s analysis on the ACLU website:
- Arizona lawmakers running scared after anti-boycott law ruled unconstitutional
- Laws suppressing boycotts of Israel don’t prevent discrimination – they violate civil liberties
- In Congress, a threat to Americans’ First Amendment right to boycott
- Laws targeting Israel boycotts fail again in court
- The latest attack on free speech in the Israel-Palestine debate
- The new Israel anti-boycott act is still unconstitutional
- Kansas doesn’t even try to defend its Israel anti-boycott law
- If you’re boycotting Israel in this Texas town, then no hurricane relief for you
- The right to boycott is under threat
- The first amendment protects the right to boycott Israel
- ACLU’s letter to Congress opposing another act from 2018, the Anti-Semitism Awareness Act
- Haaretz 10/11/17: In America, the right to boycott Israel is under threat. This is why that’s cause for concern
- Follow Olivia at: @oliviakatbi / https://twitter.com/oliviakatbi & @DemSocialists / https://twitter.com/DemSocialists
- Partisan Magazine 3/30/21: Reclaiming the Palestinian subject
- Truthout 11/22/19: A BDS campaign tackles the sports industry in Portland – and wins
- Mondoweiss 4/14/21: BDS vs. the lie of ‘woke Zionism’
- Mondoweiss 10/10/19: I am proud that we support movement organizations like We Are Not Numbers. Can you help us strengthen the movement
- Mondoweiss 7/18/19: Vivid snapshots of Israel’s impossible cruelty: our new team members shares how Mondoweiss stories power her activism
Resources from Palestine Legal:
- Anti-boycott legislation
- Antisemitism Redefinition
- Background on Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions
- Right to Boycott
- Who is Behind These Repressive Laws?
- Legal Challenges to Anti-Boycott Laws
Resources (data tables) from the Foundation for Middle East Peace:
- Constitutionality Issues & BDS Legislation: Source Docs & Expert Views
- Legislation to Constrain Boycott of Israel/Settlements (in States)
- Legislation to Constrain Boycott of Israel/Settlements (Congress)
- Using “Antisemitism” to Quash Israel Criticism – in Congress & States
- Israel-focused Anti-Boycott Legislation — A Template for Targeting Protest on Other Issues
- Targets of Israel Anti-Boycott Laws in States – Contracts vs. Investments
- Challenging the IHRA Definition of Antisemitism – Expert Views & Resources
FMEP’s Lara Friedman:
- The American Prospect 11/12/20: Weaponizing Anti-Semitism, State Department Delegitimizes Human Rights Groups
- Jewish Currents 8/19/20: Israel-Advocacy Groups Urge Facebook to Label Criticism of Israel as Hate Speech
- Jewish Currents 2/20/20: States Are Moving to Class Criticism of Israel as Antisemitism
- Medium, 3/19/18: U.S. Politicians Are Backing a Free Speech Exception for Israel — & Creating a Template for Broader Assault on the First Amendment
- The Forward 1/31/18: BDS Opponents Want Israel Held To A Lower Standard
- NAACP v. Claiborne Hardware
- Lawfare Blog – Discussion of the case of the Arkansas anti-BDS case
- Ben & Jerry’s — statement re: operations in the Occupied Territories
- Brookings Blog 1/8/20: What do Americans think of the BDS movement, aimed at Israel?
- Jewish Electorate Institute 2021 – National Jewish Survey
- International Holocaust Remembrance Alliance – definition of Antisemitism
- FMEP: Challenging the IHRA Definition of Antisemitism – Expert Views & Resources
- Trump’s Executive Order on Antisemitism
- The Israel Anti-Boycott Act – 2022 edition
- Politico 3/7/22: ‘Hypocrisy’: Lawmakers fighting Israel boycott now all-in for Russia sanctions
- FMEP podcast: The Double Standard on BDS – Russia/Ukraine vs. Israel/Palestine
- Reports on Israeli Apartheid: Amnesty International, B’tselem, Human Rights Watch
- +972 Magazine: The new hasbara campaign Israel doesn’t want you to know about
- US Protest Law Tracker
- Bahia Amawi v. Pludgerville Independent School District
- FMEP resource: Lawfare: Targeting US Academia – Tracking the Cases
- Campus Free-Speech Legislation: History, Progress, and Problems
Omar Barghouti is a Palestinian human rights defender. He is a co-founder of the Palestinian-led Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions (BDS) movement and a co-recipient of the 2017 Gandhi Peace Award. He holds bachelor’s and master’s degrees in Electrical Engineering from Columbia University, NY, and is pursuing a PhD in Philosophy (ethics) at the University of Amsterdam. He is the author of, BDS: The Global Struggle for Palestinian Rights (Haymarket: 2011). His commentaries and views have appeared in the New York Times, the Guardian, the Washington Post, the Financial Times, AP, the Nation, and on MSNBC, CNN, BBC, among others.
Brian Hauss is a staff attorney with the ACLU Speech, Privacy, and Technology Project. Brian was previously a staff attorney with the ACLU Center for Liberty, where he focused on combating religious refusals to comply with anti-discrimination laws. He also spent two years as the ACLU’s William J. Brennan First Amendment Fellow. Brian is a graduate of Yale University and Harvard Law School. He served as a law clerk to the Hon. Marsha S. Berzon of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit.
Olivia Katbi is the North America Coordinator for the Palestinian-led Boycott, Divestment, and Sanctions (BDS) Movement. She also organizes with the Democratic Socialists of America, where she served as co-chair of the Portland, Oregon DSA chapter from 2017-2021, and founded the organization’s National BDS and Palestine Solidarity Working Group.