In this episode of Occupied Thoughts, FMEP’s Lara Friedman speaks to Sheryl Nestel, co-author of a new report published by Canada’s Independent Jewish Voices (IJV), entitled, Unveiling the Chilly Climate – The Suppression of Speech on Palestine in Canada. Sheryl discusses why the report was necessary, the research methodology it entailed, the key findings, what the authors and IJV hope the report will achieve, and why this report matters not just for Canada, but for the world.
FMEP’s Lara Friedman on the Chilly Climate report: “This timely, deeply-researched report offers critical insight into the corrosive effect of ongoing efforts to delegitimize and quash support for Palestinian rights and criticism of Israel — most notably with the targeting of individuals, academic institutions, and organizations, and the resulting chilling of free speech, legitimate debate, and protest. IJV’s deep dive into the Canadian experience offers important insights into how such efforts are being pursued around the world, and why – for the sake not only of Palestinian rights, but to defend free speech writ large – challenging and reversing these trends is critical.”
Recorded October 18, 2022
- Follow Sheryl at: @SherylNestel
- Follow IJV at @IndJewishVoices
- Check out IJV’s work challenging the IHRA definition of antisemitism
Sheryl Nestel is the co-author, with Rowan Gaudet of Unveiling the Chilly Climate – The Suppression of Speech on Palestine in Canada — a report published October 12, 2022 by Independent Jewish Voices, a grassroots organization grounded in Jewish tradition that opposes all forms of racism and advocates for justice and peace for all in Israel-Palestine, with active chapters in cities and on university campuses across Canada.Sheryl is a retired sociologist whose teaching and research has been in the area of race and racism. She has been active in Palestine solidarity work for several decades. She served on the Steering Committee of Independent Jewish Voices from 2012-2021 and is the co-chair of the IJV No IHRA committee. Sheryl lived in Israel/Palestine from 1973-1988. She is a founding member of the International Jewish Collective for Justice in Palestine, a group of 17 Jewish organizations from 14 countries which was founded in 2020.
- Resources produced by FMEP related to the IHRA definition of antisemitism & suppression of speech on Palestine
- FMEP/Lara Friedman research – data table tracking analyses challenging the IHRA definition of antisemitism
- Anti-Palestinian Racism: Naming, Framing and Manifestations — Community Consultations and Reflections (by Dania Majid, April 25, 2022) The Canadian Islamophobia Industry Research Project (Jasmine Zine, Lead Researcher)