In this episode of Occupied Thoughts, FMEP’s Lara Friedman speaks to Sarah Posner, renowned expert on American pro-Israel evangelicals, about U.S. pro-Israel evangelicals and their agenda in the context of both the recent Israeli elections, the recent US midterms, and the race for the 2024 White House.
- Bio/collection of her work
- Twitter – @sarahposner /Mastodon – @email@example.com
- Talking Points Memo 10/17/22: How Many Forms Of Antisemitism Can Trump Cram Into One Truth Social Post? Let’s Count.
- Talking Points Memo 9/27/22: The Key Ingredients Of Christian Nationalism
- Moment – Sept/Oct 2022 issue: The GOP’s Christian Supremacy Problem
Sarah Posner on FMEP podcasts/webinars
- March 2, 2021: FMEP webinar, “’Til Kingdom Come’: Evangelicals, Israel/Palestine, and Messianic Politics”, ft. Maya Zinshtein, director of ‘Til Kingdom Come; Sarah Posner, author of Unholy: Why White Evangelicals Worship at the Altar of Donald Trump; Lara Friedman (FMEP); in conversation with journalist Peter Beinart.
- August 27, 2020: FMEP podcast, “From Washington to Jerusalem: Evangelicals, Israel/Palestine, and American Domestic Politics”, ft. FMEP’s Lara Friedman in conversation with expert/author Sarah Posner
Publications/tweets mentioned in this podcast
Twitter thread tweeted by Yair Netanyahu 11/21/22, in response to Kanye West’s tweet “Shalom” (his first tweet after being re-admitted to Twitter): “There are 14 million Jews in the world. Some of us are conservative, some are liberal. Some are patriots and some are globalists. There are good and bad ppl in every faith and nationality. I understand u have a problem with a few Jews in Hollywood. What does that got to do with the “Jewish people”? What does that got to do with millions of Jewish babies and children? What does it got to do with millions of Israelis who never been been to America and has nothing to do with Hollywood? I myself am a conservative Israeli Jew, who fight for years against the globalists (Jews and non Jews alike), for stronger national identity in Israel, Europe and US, and against woke progressive crazy cancel cloture. I support strengthening Christian identity in USA and Europe. My father is one of the world’s mostprominent CONSERVATIVE leaders. BTW, every single DNA study of the Jewish ppl (Askenazi and Sephardic), shows the Jewish ppl came from the levant area, and that they are the descendants of the ancient Hebrews from the Bible. So Kanye – stop this BS”
Tweet from Nikki Haley 11/20/22: “My faith has taught me a lot of things. To love the most vulnerable – and to speak for the voiceless. To hate injustice – and to hold wrongdoers accountable. But one of the biggest lessons I’ve learned as a Christian is this: We have a duty to stand with Israel. @SACornerstone”
Times of Israel 11/20/22: Florida’s DeSantis to GOP Jews: ‘Judea and Samaria is not occupied, but disputed’
Tweet by Dr. Robert Jeffress 11/19/22: “Why should Christians care about what is happening in Israel? Find out this Sunday, as I interview newly elected @IsraeliPM @netanyahu and discuss his new book Bibi: My Story. Tune in following our 11am CT worship service for an online special. WATCH: http://icampus.firstdallas.org”
Yahoo News 11/2/22: Trump, Mastriano’s wife criticize Jews for not loving Israel enough
The Forward 2/23/21: Trump’s antisemitism envoy leaves a polarizing legacy as Biden prepares new pick
JTA 5/4/20: An era of ‘philo-Semitism’? The US will push countries to love their Jews more, anti-Semitism monitor says
Jerusalem Post 6/4/19: Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis signs legislation against antisemitism into law [“He called Florida ‘the most Israel-friendly state in the country.’”]
The Phoenix 5/2/19: Gov. DeSantis talks about his God, hypes upcoming Florida Cabinet meeting in Israel [“A Tallahassee preacher anointed Gov. Ron DeSantis as ‘the most pro-Israel governor in the United States’ during observances at the state Capitol Thursday of the National Day of Prayer.”]
Middle East Eye 3/31/17: Nikki Haley champions Israel’s anti-BDS policy