In this episode of Occupied Thoughts, journalist and human rights activist Basel Adraa joins FMEP’s Sarah Anne Minkin to discuss the acceleration of threats and violence from the Israeli army and settlers in Masafer Yatta, both inside of Firing Zone 918, which is under unique threat of expulsion and forced population transfer, and outside of it, including in A-Twani, Basel’s village. See below for resources on the many incidents and developments Basel discussed.
Subscribe to “Occupied Thoughts” on iTunes | Soundcloud |Spotify
Recorded October 9, 2022
Basel Adraa is an activist, journalist, and photographer from the village of A’Twani who publishes on +972 and Humans of Masafer Yatta on Instagram and Substack. Basel’s Twitter: @basel_adra
Sarah Anne Minkin, PhD is the Director of Programs and Partnerships at FMEP. Her Twitter: @saminkin.
- On the attack against Hafez Huraini in A’Twani: How Israeli media reported a ‘lynching’ that never happened
- On the Israeli military enabling settlers to occupy private land in A’Twani for a Jewish prayer service in August: Why did the army shut down a Palestinian village? So settlers could pray in it
- B’Tselem’s letter to the ICC urging “preventative intervention” to prevent the war crime of forcible population transfer in Firing Zone 918: B’Tselem urgent appeal to the prosecutor of the International Criminal Court: stop Israel from committing a war crime in South Hebron Hills
- +972’s archive of reporting on Masafer Yatta, mostly by residents of Masafer Yatta
- Ali Awad’s article on settler threats & violence against schoolchildren from Tuba who go to school in A’Twani: Opinion | For 17 Years, Stone-throwing Settlers Have Terrorized Palestinian Children. I Was One of Them
- FMEP’s resource page on Masafer Yatta, including more programs with Basel and other human rights defenders.