Talking About Apartheid
Recorded February 18, 2022
This webinar is Part 2 of an 8-part series of webinars. For more information regarding this series, and links to the other sessions, please click here.
Featuring Salem Barahmeh (Palestine Institute for Public Diplomacy), Hagai El-Ad (B’Tselem) and Sherine Tadros (Amnesty International).
In this session we explored the increasing adoption by human rights experts of the term “apartheid” to describe the reality in Israel/Palestine, including on both sides of the Green Line, and the view that, today, Palestinians and Israelis live in a de facto one-state, apartheid reality.
Follow Salem Barahmeh and the Palestine Institute for Public Diplomacy:
- Twitter: @Barahmeh (https://twitter.com/Barahmeh) & @rabetbypipd (https://twitter.com/rabetbypipd)
- YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGglb26hdG81eW08n4dagUw
- Website: https://www.thepipd.com/
Follow Hagai El-Ad & B’Tselem:
- Twitter: @HagaiElAd (https://twitter.com/HagaiElAd) & @BTselem (https://twitter.com/BTselem)
- YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL0C285DBC01079AAB
- Website: https://www.btselem.org/
Follow Sherine Tadros & Amnesty International
- Twitter: @SherineT (https://twitter.com/SherineT) & @AmnestyUN (https://twitter.com/AmnestyUN)
- YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/amnestyinternational
- Website:: https://www.amnesty.org/en/
- Amnesty International’s report (& related resources from Amnesty International): Israel’s apartheid against Palestinians: Cruel system of domination and crime against humanity (Feb. 1, 2022)
- B’Tselem’s report: A regime of Jewish supremacy from the Jordan River to the Mediterranean Sea: This is apartheid (Jan. 12, 2021)
More from the Panelists
- Salem Barahmeh, Palestinians are fighting to dismantle apartheid, not just annexation (+972 Magazine, 6/29/20)
- Salem Barahmeh, Biden can’t free Palestine (Foreign Policy, 11/20/20)
- Twitter thread from Salem Barahmeh cited in one of the webinar questions.
- Hagai El-Ad, Bullets, Brutality and Bulldozers: What Israeli Apartheid is Really Like (Haaretz, 2/2/22)
- Hagai El-Ad, Israel has chosen a two-tiered society. Violence is the inevitable result (Washington Post 5/14/21)
Other related articles/resources
From the former AG of Israel: “With great sadness I conclude that my country is now an apartheid regime (The Journal/Ireland, 2/10/22)
Smotrich at Knesset: Ben-Gurion should have ‘finished the job,’ thrown out Arabs (Times of Israel, 10/13/21 – example of phenomenon referenced by Hagai, wherein Israeli officials in effect acknowledge the Nakba)
Congress Flips Out Over Amnesty International’s Report on Israel (FMEP’s Legislative Round-Up 2/4/22)
Amnesty International Tries to Put Israel on Trial (Wall Street Journal op-ed, 2/4/22)
Clip of MSNBC’s Ayman Mohyeldin discussing the report and reactions to it
Video of AP reporter asking the State Department spokesman about the report and U.S. double standards when it comes to Israel
Amnesty, “Designation of Palestinian civil society groups as terrorists a brazen attack on human rights” https://www.amnesty.org/en/latest/news/2021/10/israel-opt-designation-of-palestinian-civil-society-groups-as-terrorists-a-brazen-attack-on-human-rights/