Recorded March 25, 2022
This webinar is Part 7 of an 8-part series of webinars. For more information regarding this series, and links to the other sessions, please click here.
Featuring Ahmed Abu Artema (Palestinian writer and activist), Marwa Fatafta (MENA Policy Manager at Access Now)
In this session we explored issues surrounding Palestinian civil society, and in particular human rights defenders and democracy activists, and the challenges and threats they face — including direct attacks by Israel, targeting by Palestinian authorities, and apathy/indifference from the international community in the face of these attacks.
Resources shared during the webinar
Ahmed Abu Artema
- Electronic Intifada 9/23/21: Palestinians will always punch holes in Israel’s walls
- Al Jazeera 7/13/21: Why did the PA see Nizar Banat as such a grave threat?
- Al Jazeera 3/30/19: How the Great March of Return resurrected Palestinian resistance
- Viewpoint Magazine 3/30/19: No Choice but to Break Free: An Interview with Ahmed Abu Artema
- Middle East Eye 11/9/18: Gaza’s protests show the power of the people to make the world listen
- Follow Marwa and Access Now on Twitter: @marwasf / https://twitter.com/marwasf @accessnow / https://twitter.com/accessnow
- Access Now 11/8/21: NSO’s Pegasus surveilled Palestinian activists – it’s time for a moratorium on spyware sales
- Access New 5/7/21: Sheikh Jarrah: Facebook and Twitter systematically silencing protests, deleting evidence
- +972 Magazine 4/29/21: Elections or not, the PA is intensifying its authoritarian rule online
- +972 Magazine 12/4/19: ‘Incitement’ and ‘Indecency’: How Palestinian dissent is repressed online
Al-Shabaka 5/21/21: The “TikTok intifada”
MEI/FMEP/ et al webinar 10/29/21: Israel’s Designation of Six Palestinian NGOs as “Terrorist”: Costs and Consequences
+972 Magazine (Maha Nassar) 10/2/20: US media talks a lot about Palestinians — just without Palestinians
Edward Said, 1984 (via JSTOR): Permission to Narrate
Reports re: apartheid
Amnesty International 2/1/22: Israel’s apartheid against Palestinians: Cruel system of domination and crime against humanity
Human Rights Watch 4/27/21: A Threshold Crossed – Israeli Authorities and the Crimes of Apartheid and Persecution
Marwa Fatafta leads Access Now’s work on digital rights in the Middle East and North Africa region as the MENA Policy Manager. She is an advisory board member of the Palestinian digital rights organization 7amleh, and a policy analyst at Al-Shabaka, The Palestinian Policy Network working on issues of political leadership, governance and accountability. Before joining Access Now, Marwa worked as the MENA Regional Advisor at Transparency International Secretariat in Berlin and coordinated regional and global efforts to mainstream gender into anti-corruption policies and norms. She previously served as a Communications Manager at the British Consulate-General in Jerusalem. She was a Fulbright scholar to the US and holds an MA in International Relations from Syracuse University and an MA in Development and Governance from the University of Duisburg-Essen. Marwa is a feminist killjoy, a painter, and a chocolate addict.