Recorded January 12, 2022
In this episode of Occupied Thoughts, FMEP’s Sarah Anne Minkin speaks with activist and author Ali Awad about the threats of dispossession and state-backed settler violence facing Palestinians in the Masafer Yatta area of the South Hebron Hills. Ali’s most recent article, co-authored with Awdah Hathaleen, describes extreme violence against a village elder in a non-violent protest in Masafer Yatta: “Israeli police shattered this Palestinian elder’s bones — and drove away.”
Ali Awad is an activist from the village of Tuba in the South Hebron Hills.
Sarah Anne Minkin, PhD, is FMEP’s Director of Programs & Partnerships.
#Save Masafer Yatta: https://savemasaferyatta.com/en/
Occupied Thoughts: Pogrom in Mufagara and ‘Fighting for our justice’ with Basil Al Adraa and Natasha Westheimer: https://fmep.org/resource/pogrom-in-mufagara-and-fighting-for-our-justice/
Ali Awad in +972:
- Israeli police shattered this Palestinian elder’s bones — and drove away: https://www.972mag.com/haj-suleiman-masafer-yatta-police/ (co-authored with Awdah Hathaleen)
- What I would’ve told the Knesset about settler violence — if they’d let me: https://www.972mag.com/settler-violence-knesset-south-hebron-hills/
- What Israeli soldiers don’t demolish by day, settlers burn by night: https://www.972mag.com/settler-violence-south-hebron-hills-fire/
- Want to report settler violence? You may soon be under investigation: https://www.972mag.com/settler-violence-police-investigation/
Ali Awad in Ha’aretz:
- Opinion | For 17 Years, Stone-throwing Settlers Have Terrorized Palestinian Children. I Was One of Them: https://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/.premium-for-17-years-settlers-have-terrorized-palestinian-children-i-was-one-of-them-1.10292655
- Opinion | Why Israeli Settlers Are Targeting Palestinian Kids’ Playgrounds: https://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/.premium.HIGHLIGHT-palestinians-israel-settlers-idf-violence-west-bank-1.10516297